Wondering what to do with a left-over pumpkin? Bursting with beta-carotene, vitamin C and potassium, transform this golden immune booster into stunning yet simple soup.
Try this beautiful seasonal recipe from Gabriele Bagni, Executive Chef at Mercato Metropolitano. Big, bold colour and flavour will warm your soul over Halloween.
If you would like any more recipes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I N G R E D I E N T S
2tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1kg pumpkin or squash (try kabocha), peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
150ml double cream
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35-40 mins
FOR THE CROUTONS
2 tbsp olive oil 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread, crusts removed handful pumpkin seeds
D I R E C T I O N S
1. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook the finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
2. Add 1kg pumpkin or squash, cut into chunks, to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
3. Pour 700ml vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
4. Pour 150ml double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra velvety consistency, you can pour the soup through a fine sieve. The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months.
5. To make the croutons: cut 4 slices of wholemeal seeded bread into small squares.
6. Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to get crispy.
7. Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins until they are toasted. These can be made the day before and stored in an appropriate container.
Photo: MM Executive Chef Gabriele Bagni & City Harvest CEO, Laura Winningham at the launch of Mayfair Mercato Metropolitano
MM is a movement of everything that is natural and sustainable, ensuring access to nutritious and adequate food for everyone. Ours is a movement of artisans and people passionate about seasonal produce, natural food, community inclusion and the preservation of the environment.
We bring together natural, traceable and unadulterated food, presented on recycled, simple and natural serving-ware. The focus is on the products, artisan producers and customers rather than on luxurious settings, creating the first truly sustainable and inclusive community markets.
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!